The eye-catching style may seem complicated, but you can DIY with these easy step-by-step instructions.
Holographic hair is the hottest hair trend for 2020. The futuristic look is defined by multidimensional hues with a metallic sheen. It might sound complicated, but it’s a look that can be nailed right into the comfort of your own bathroom. The main thing to consider is your base color and your commitment to your new look. For example, brunettes wanting a lighter shade of pink (like Opale in the Preference range) will need to bleach their hair first to ensure maximum color gain. Medium to light brunettes can opt for Feria Purple Amethis instead for immediate results, or if engagement isn’t your thing, Colorista lets you try out a color for a day and works on both light and dark bases. .
Read on for step by step instructions on how to achieve the look based on your natural hair color.
Preference (for light blonde to bleached hair):
1. Before coloring: do a wick test to preview your color results.
2. Prepare: Make sure your hair is dry, put on the colorist gloves. Remove the tip of the color enhancement cream. Remove the cap from the vial. Pour the entire contents of the color gel vial into the color enhancement cream and firmly replace the applicator cap. Place your gloved finger on the open tip, point away from your face, and shake until the mixture is completely smooth.
3. Apply: Immediately after mixing, apply color from the bottle to dry, unwashed hair. For hair with a resistant gray, apply to the gray areas first. Work gently through the hair as you would shampoo. Use all of the mixture to saturate the hair, then lightly stack your hair on top of your head.
4. Duration: allow to develop for 25 minutes. For gray hair: leave on for an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Rinse: When the time is up, add a small amount of lukewarm water to the hair and lather then rinse until the water runs clear.
6. Condition & Recondition Weekly: Apply Care Supreme Color & Shine Conditioner to fully saturate your hair. Leave on for 2 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water. Keep the Care Supreme Color & Shine conditioner and use it once a week after shampooing.
Feria (for light to medium brunettes):
1. Before coloring, perform a wick test to preview your color results.
2. Prepare: Make sure your hair is dry, put on the colorist gloves. Remove the tip of the Shimmer Conditioning Developer Cream bottle. Remove the applicator cap from the vial. Pour the entire contents of the Shimmering Conditioner Color Gel and Aromatic Shimmer Serum into the Shimmer Conditioner Cream Applicator Bottle. Put the applicator cap firmly back on the bottle of Shimmering Conditioner. Place your gloved finger on the open tip, point away from your face, and shake until the mixture is completely smooth.
3. Coloring: Immediately after mixing, apply color from the bottle to dry, unwashed hair starting from the front. Gently work the color blend through the hair, starting at the root area until it is fully saturated, then work through the mid-lengths and ends until it is fully saturated.
4. Time: allow to develop for 25 minutes.
5. Rinse: keep the gloves on, add a little lukewarm water to the hair and lather gently. Rinse thoroughly until the water runs clear.
6. Deep Conditioning, Shimmer & Shine: Apply Power Shimmer Conditioner to hair. Work and let penetrate for 2 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water until the water runs clear.
7. Recondition: Store Power Shimmer Conditioner and reuse it the next time you wash your hair to keep hair silky and shimmery.
Colorista (for blonde to dark brunette):
1. Place a towel around the shoulders to protect the clothes.
2. Using fingertips, apply a small amount to dry strands of hair. No need for gloves.
3. Brush or comb hair to distribute Colorista hair makeup.
4. Air dry or dry hair. Style as you like.
As for maintaining holographic hair, use L’Oréal Paris Color Radiance Shampoo and Conditioner to preserve color (but do not wash your hair within 24 hours of coloring to ensure that no pigment is either removed) and touch up your roots every four to six weeks. When it comes to styling your new locks, opt for L’Oréal Paris Stylista The Blowdry Cream to help protect hair from heat.
Styling by ELIZA GROSSMAN. Creative direction by GEORGE ANTONOPOULOS. Photograph by SANDRO ALTAMIRANO. Videography by BEN REYES. Make-up by JODI URICHUK. Hair by VICTORIA HUNTER.